After putting it off for a few weeks, I think I’m finally ready to commit to a set of goals for 2014. Oddly I think that these goals kind of took shape while I was out in Steamboat Springs last week falling on my butt repeatedly while attempting snowboarding for the first time. Perhaps in struggle there comes clarity?
Anyway, here they are! My running goals (and other fitness) for 2014:
1. Break 1:40 in a half marathon. My current PR is a 1:44 so I’ve got four minutes to knock off, but I think I can do it. I’m planning to follow a plan that is in the spirit of Hansons but includes more cross-training. Goal race is the Steamboat Springs half marathon in June 2014. I was looking at the times from last year, and if I went this time there is also a chance I could place top 3 in my age group, which would be pretty cool!
2. Run 14 races in 2014, as a part of the ’14 in 2014′ challenge. I signed up to participate in this challenge hosted by Jill Conyers at Fitness Health & Happiness and Jen at Marathon Mom. The idea is to complete 14 registered virtual or real life races during the calendar year, while having the support of a community of others who are also doing so. Read more about the challenge here.
3. Start strength training and make it a regular part of my routine. I had a lot of success in my marathon last year following a program of literally JUST running, but honestly it probably wasn’t the healthiest thing for me. This year I want to really commit to a strength training plan. My husband gave me some personal training sessions with a crossfit trainer as a Christmas gift so I plan to start there.
4. Swim at least once a week. I love to swim, and I think it helps keep some of my back issues under control. It’s a great balance to running so I’m going to commit to making it a regular part of my routine.
I didn’t include qualifying for Boston as a goal, but it’s still a possibility I may try that with a fall marathon. I just haven’t decided at this point. I’ll make that decision within the next few months, obviously, as I’d need to start training early in the summer. The good news is I should be in great running shape coming out of my June half marathon, so it may be a great time to do it.
I also decided not to carry over some of my goals from last year. For example, I had a goal around training for a 50 miler. I’d still like to do this someday, but I’m really feeling pulled towards some of these ‘hit a certain time’ goals right now. Coming off of training on Hansons and seeing what I was able to do with that I’m excited to see if I can continue to improve my times in the half and full marathon. There’s still a possibility I’ll do an ultra distance event this year in the form of a relay where I cover an ultra distance over multiple legs, but that’s probably it.
What’s are your 2014 running goals?
- Welcome to my blog! I’m Gina, an avid runner living in St. Louis, MO. Check out my blog for tips on running, swimming, race recaps, book reviews, and recipes! Follow me on twitter at @ginabhawalkar, or feel free to contact me directly at email@example.com. Thanks for reading!
March 9th - Quivering Quads Trail Half Marathon
June 1st - Steamboat Springs Half Marathon
August 30th - KT82 Trail Relay Race