It’s 24 hours until race time!
First of all, before I get into my post, a big Happy Birthday to my husband, Parth today! Yes, he is in Chicago watching a marathon for his birthday. Poor guy. I swear I will make this up to him. We went out to celebrate last night with dinner at The Publican. It was delicious! Definitely a place for meat lovers, but the vegetarian options were great as well. Plus two of my cousins who live in Chicago joined us so that was a lot of fun.
I haven’t posted in a few days, so here’s a quick recap of the last few days of preparation for the marathon:
- I didn’t sleep very well last night or Thursday night because I’m just so anxious for this race to happen. This isn’t unusual. After all, does anyone actually sleep well the week of a big race?
- I ran on Thursday for the first time in two weeks. My leg felt pretty good, but it was only 3 miles, so I’m not sure how things are going to go on Sunday. I’ve been doing everything I need to be doing (resting it, taking alleve, doing epsom salt baths, etc.).
- I realized this morning I left my black running shorts I intended to wear for the race hanging on the drying rack at home! A quick trip to Lululemon may be in order today, or I’ll wear my backup pair I did remember to bring that just completely clash with the rest of my clothing, ha!
- We hit up the Expo yesterday. The highlights were my dad trying on and buying a pair of Hokas (these beauties pictured below – not in this color – but you get the idea – I’ll pause for your reaction ) and meeting Dean Karnazes. He is the most interesting looking human I have ever seen.
The plan for today is to do a short run with Parth and my dad, grab some brunch, do a little shopping, have dinner at Siena Tavern, and then get to bed early!
A couple friends have asked me about Runner Tracking. You can track up to three runners for free by registering here. I actually signed up to track myself on my Twitter wall, so if it works like I’m thinking it will it should post my splits on my wall as I’m running so you can check there as well!
If you’re wondering whether I’m still going for my A goal, I’m honestly still unsure what pace I’m going to go out at. I’m going to see how my run feels this morning. I know the smart thing to do is to scale back a bit given all the issues with my shin. And honestly I’d be really happy with anything under 4:00. But I also know that as of two weeks ago I was conditioned and ready to run a 3:40. So, we will see!
Good luck to everyone else who is racing this weekend!!
Any last minute tips for me for race day?
- Welcome to my blog! I’m Gina, an avid runner living in St. Louis, MO. Check out my blog for tips on running, swimming, race recaps, book reviews, and recipes! Follow me on twitter at @ginabhawalkar, or feel free to contact me directly at email@example.com. Thanks for reading!
Frostbite Series Half Marathon
Frostbite Series 15K
Feb 22nd - 23rd:
Ragnar Del Sol 200 mile relay
Quivering Quads Trail Half Marathon
St. Patrick's Day Parade Run
Wipro San Francisco Half Marathon