This weekend I hit the trails for the first time in awhile. I did my 10 mile long run today at Castlewood Park, one of my favorite parks to run trails in St. Louis. It’s been months since I’ve been out on the trails, and it felt great.
Here’s a picture of the Meramec river that runs through the park:
Below is part of the trail that runs along the river. It’s a great trail because it’s relatively flat, and very runnable:
I love trail running because it’s always an adventure. Today I had a deer leap across the trail in front of me (very cool!), saw a snake on the trail (not so cool – I screamed), and saw this complete randomness:
And this wasn’t even close to the river, so who knows what this raft was doing here! Gotta love the crazy stuff you see while running…
Marathon Training Update
This past week I did a total of 41 miles! I’m really excited about having a 40+ mile week – it has been a long time! And the best part is that it felt pretty good overall. A few key points from this week:
- My tempo workout was a little frustrating. Not because I couldn’t hit my pace, but because my pace was all over the place. I’m essentially having a hard time finding and holding my marathon pace. I remember this happening last time I trained for a marathon but eventually I settled into it once I learned how the pace felt. I’m hoping that happens very soon.
- The slight pain I had on the top of my right foot last week is gone, so I guess it was nothing. That is good news!
- I’m almost at the halfway point! The end of next week will mark the end of week 9 of this 18 week training plan. To be honest I wasn’t sure my body would hold up as well as it has, so fingers crossed I can keep things going for the second half of the training.
Overall it was a great week, and I’m really getting used to this running almost every day thing. At this point it feels like I’m just going through the motions, and like running every day is as natural as eating breakfast every morning. Yet it’s still fun as well.
Week 9 of Chicago Marathon Training
This coming week is a 47 mile week. The run I’m most nervous about this week is the 8 mile tempo run – that is quite a jump from last week’s 5 mile tempo run! I’m glad it’s still a few days away – time to mentally prepare
- Monday – 5 miles easy
- Tuesday - 5 x 1 K w/400 meter recovery, 1 mile WU/CD
- Wednesday – Rest
- Thursday – 8 mile tempo run, 1 mile WU/CD
- Friday – 6 miles easy
- Saturday – 5 miles easy
- Sunday – 15 miles long
Have you ever seen a totally random object on the trail?
- Welcome to my blog! I’m Gina, an avid runner living in St. Louis, MO. Check out my blog for tips on running, swimming, race recaps, book reviews, and recipes! Follow me on twitter at @ginabhawalkar, or feel free to contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for reading!
Frostbite Series Half Marathon
Frostbite Series 15K
Feb 22nd - 23rd:
Ragnar Del Sol 200 mile relay
Quivering Quads Trail Half Marathon
St. Patrick's Day Parade Run
Wipro San Francisco Half Marathon