How many times have you found yourself trying to wipe the sweat off your face with your shirt during a run to keep it from stinging your eyes? Or having to carry around a towel at the gym for this purpose? I used to do this all the time, until I discovered a really cool product called Handana.
Recently I had the opportunity to connect with Katie Niemeyer, founder of Handana, and try out her very unique product. Katie’s from St. Louis, like me, so I was particularly excited to try out a product created by a native St. Louisan!
The Story Behind Handana
Katie Niemeyer, the founder of Handana, has a really neat story behind her product. She’s a survivor of Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS). SJS is a severe adverse reaction to medication. I’d never heard of SJS until I started reading Katie’s story, and was surprised to find out SJS can happen to anyone. One of the side effects of SJS was that Katie’s eyes were really sensitive, and while training for her first marathon she had a hard time with sweat burning her eyes on her runs. She used to tie a banadana around her hand, and then came up with the idea of Handana.
What is Handana?
Handana is essentially a high performance sweatband. It’s made of a super soft lycra fabric right here in the US. It’s designed to serve a similar purpose as wrapping a bandana around your hand to wipe the sweat away from your eyes, neck, and forehead. But with a much better fit! Handana comes in five different sizes, so it’s easy to find one that fits just perfect. It also comes in over 18 different colors.
My Review of Handana
My first impression when I put on my Handana was that I love how snug it fits. Katie sent me a size M and the fit is great. One neat thing is that you can wear it on either hand.
I’ve used my Handana for two types of workouts so far:
- Rnning on the treadmill at the gym: If you’re like me, you probably hate running on the treadmill, but during the winter it’s just a necessary evil some days. I always bring a gym towel to drape over the top of the treadmill so I can wipe off my face every 2 minutes since I sweat so much, particularly in the hot gym. Well, with my Handana I didn’t have to reach for my towel at all. I was able to keep running while wiping my sweat with my hand, which was much easier!
- Rowing: I was a little worried that it may be hard to grip the bar on the rowing machine, but it wasn’t at all! The great thing about the Handana is that you don’t even really realize it’s there until you need it. I am very new to rowing, so I’ll do 500 – 1000 at at time resting in-between, and use my Handana to wipe off the sweat!
What I love about my Handana:
- It takes care of my sweat situation, and I am a massive sweater! No need for the gym towel, which was great. Though I haven’t needed it for this purpose yet, I also think it would be very helpful if you have a winter cold and need to wipe the snot from your nose while you’re working out. Sorry, I know that’s kind of gross, but hey, we all know it happens!
- It’s super soft and lightweight – I can hardly feel it’s there!
- It doesn’t restrict my hands from gripping my water bottle, using my phone, etc. Much better than a bulky bandana, or wearing a glove.
- It’s machine washable, so I just threw it in the wash with all my other sweaty gym clothes and it was ready to go for my next workout!
I would definitely recommend this product. In fact, upon writing this review I have a couple people in mind who might be getting this as a birthday present this year
How to get your Handana
If you don’t have a Handana yet, I’d definitely recommend you get one! You can purchase your Handana on Handana’s website for just $16 – not bad for something you’ll use over and over again!
Disclaimer: I was provided a Handana to try out and review on my blog. I was not compensated for doing so. All opinions expressed are my own.
Have you tried Handana? What gear have you tried lately that you love?
- Welcome to my blog! I’m Gina, an avid runner living in St. Louis, MO. Check out my blog for tips on running, swimming, race recaps, book reviews, and recipes! Follow me on twitter at @ginabhawalkar, or feel free to contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for reading!
March 9th - Quivering Quads Trail Half Marathon
June 1st - Steamboat Springs Half Marathon
August 30th - KT82 Trail Relay Race